The internal knowledge base is a go-to for all employees of the organization for any source of organizational information. It acts as an internal help center where your employees get required data from an organized source.
The internal knowledge base for teams is organization-wide. When information is created and curated on a large scale, an organization needs to have the best knowledge management software suited to organizational needs. A knowledge management software facilitates creation, curation, storing, organizing, and distributing the information internally.
Table of contents
- The need for knowledge management to create an internal knowledge base
- How to create your own internal knowledge base?
The need for knowledge management to create an internal knowledge base
Internal knowledge bases are for internal purposes. Organizations must concentrate on making their knowledge base effective for the day-to-day functioning of any activity.
When we talk about the internal knowledge base software, it includes all departments and hierarchies.
It can be confusing to keep track of thousands of documents and find information at the right time. Below are a few problems knowledge management solves for better internal knowledge management.
1. Single source of truth
- Having a knowledge base powered or run by knowledge management helps put all files, documents, and resources in one single place
- Modern knowledge management platforms run on the cloud, which means access to files to any employee at any time, anywhere
- A single source of truth promotes consistent information
2. Track all file versions
- With internal files, sometimes the case is that many files are created on the same topic. This means a delay in trying to get to information quickly
- Finding the updated file can be confusing at times, as file names can get tricky and when you can’t access version histories
- A knowledge management platform keeps all versions of files so the user can access any file they want without much confusion
3. Collaboration between departments
- Many departments work together in an organization and would have to collaborate and work together. If internal files are gatekept, then collaboration becomes hard
- Sharing files would mean allowance of access to the files, and restrictions of files make work slower
- With knowledge management system in place, collaboration becomes more accessible as all files and documents are stored on one platform
4. Improved productivity
- Work happens when all things are set in place. Even if one thing doesn’t flow, all the steps that lead to the output get delayed
- Having knowledge management for internal files improves productivity as files as accessible to users at the right time through a simple search feature
- Work efficiency improves the overall working environment and culture
How to create your own internal knowledge base?
Using knowledge management software eases the steps an organization has to go through to create an internal knowledge base. If you are new to using knowledge management software, the following are simple steps to follow to create your own internal knowledge base.
1. Scan through your files
- The first step to creating an internal knowledge base is to ensure that you do not already have a similar file existing
- This activity is done to reduce the chance of duplicate files being created
- This also saves a lot of time and effort for employees to focus on what is to be created freshly
2. Enhance existing documents
- After scanning through the existing documents, it is essential to check if they comply with the proper SOPs and standards of the organization
- If they are, then just organizing them or grouping them would be the next step for proper access to them
- If the scanned files are found not to be up to mark, you might have to enhance it by tweaking the contents of the documents to repurpose the existing files
3. Curate and maintain
- Once the files are created and organized or grouped into files, one part of the job is done. The second part of the process is to curate and maintain.
- Knowledge, if not updated, becomes redundant in an organization. So now and then, it is essential to review documents to maintain them.
- If documents are maintained adequately, it reduces the need to create new files often.
4. Create new files
- It is vital to introduce new product or service features in a separate document for internal purposes to avoid confusion
- You can easily create any file with attachments and interactive elements for more visually appealing content with knowledge management
- New files created on knowledge management can be notified quickly through push notifications to the users on the platform itself
Whether you are creating your internal knowledge base from scratch or wanting significant changes in the existing knowledge base, knowledge management software can help you in different ways. Right from curating to collaboration, a knowledge management platform makes any organization improve productivity.
Creating an internal knowledge base for teams with the perfect strategy saves time and support costs from the beginning by choosing the software that suits your organization the best.