Data migration is the process of selecting, preparing, extracting, and transforming data. Data migration involves permanently transferring data from one computer storage system to another or even a cloud service. Data migration is the most crucial aspect when moving software platforms. When moving software or adapting to new technology, your existing content also moves with the latest ideas implemented.
Many people think of content or data migration as a challenge or an obstacle, which stops them from adopting new-age Knowledge Management software like Knowmax. Data migration is risky when there is no proper backup within the organization, but what matters is the methods used for data migration and its ability to work mistake proof.
Read on to find out how Knowmax knowledge management software helps overcome common content migration challenges.
Table of contents
5 common data migration challenges
In very blatant words, data migration can be time-consuming and cost a lot of human power to resolve. It is a huge process that takes time proportionately related to the number of files that need to be transferred. If the entire organizational data move happens, it is essential first to sit and oversee the information that needs to be moved. Then planning needs to be done.
After content migration is planned, the process has to be implemented step by step to ensure that every file is in place.
1. Unorganized data
When data is first created from scratch, there is a possibility that this data has multiple versions. The most commonly established mess is duplicates or incomplete data sets of one version of a document or a file.
This data needs to be cleaned before you move to a new platform so that you can avoid messy or disorganized data right from the beginning of using a new knowledge management system. Data in this scenario can be deduped after migration with a knowledge management system powered by Artificial Intelligence to reduce costs.
2. Data loss
One of the fears that need to be addressed during data migration is data loss. When data is being transferred, especially at an organizational level, there is bound to be data loss. Data loss is a severe issue, and new content cannot be drawn upon immediately. Losing data is a costly affair indeed.
Data loss might not be consequential if it is a junk file or duplicates of a file that is not needed anymore. However, despite being inconsequential to daily activities, a lot of organizational data might hold confidential or private information. The one sure-shot way of ensuring that there is no data loss is to have a backup of all files, essential or not in the present scenario.
3. Data is not formatted correctly
While migration of data occurs, one needs to check the backup and organization and the compatibility of files. Formatting the documents is essential as just transferring files as they need to be opened in the formats compatible with the new software of the device or the server.
Compatibility issues in a document or file or access controls may not apply if the file is not formatted before transferring it to a new environment. One way to ensure the formatting of files is by assessing the current device’s setting and the operating software being used in the extension. The changes the files need to adjust to the new server or operating software must be decided and formatted accordingly before moving.
4. Mapping of data
Mapping data means deciding where the new data that is transferred from the old database goes. It is essentially the process of determining where the data will rest in the new database.
One of the crucial steps of moving to new knowledge management that is powerful than the existing one at an organization is that the workflow changes according to the ease of features set in the knowledge base software. This might prove complex, but the partners you chose for your knowledge management must specify how mapping can be done in more straightforward ways.
5. Importing data
After data is cleaned, formatted, and mapped, it’s time to import information onto the new platform. Moving to a powerful new knowledge base platform essentially means you have better search capabilities, better interface, and data organization.
These new changes only happen when data is imported the correct way. Sometimes you might have to move each table of information at one time to improve accuracy in search results. Currently, the solution to this is that organizations spend what they should ensure better working with the new knowledge base features for the long run that will yield positive growth in the company.
How Knowmax makes data migration simple?
When you sign up for Knowmax knowledge management software, we help you right from scratch. So, you need not fear any data loss, data disorganization, or formatting of content in the new platform. Knowmax has Artificial Intelligence (AI) powered data migration that helps overcome any challenges while shifting data from multiple platforms to our organization’s exclusive cloud storage platform.
Take a brief look at the process Knowmax follows to help eliminate significant data challenges.
The following is a pictorial representation of data migration with Knowmax:
- The first step involves the collection of organizational data in various types of existing documents. A person from within the organization who knows your data best should help select your organization’s files to move to the new server.
- The data migration server helps migrate all forms of data files to the new cloud server. It is to be noted that Knowmax has data backup of all files after migrating to our cloud server. Data migration is time-consuming depending on the number of files to be transferred, irrespective of the software used.
- Next comes the Knowmax Artificial Intelligence-powered engine; here is where most data migration processes are to simplify. The first step within this engine is the formatting of all content to ensure compatibility with new servers.
- The second step within Knowmax’s Artificial Intelligence-powered engine is converting files to the HTML format for integration with the platform’s various content features like decision trees, articles, picture guides, and so on. Then the AI-powered engine enables keyword extraction for all types of documents that allows ease of search on the Knowmax knowledge management platform.
- Elastic search enables the uncomplicated search of documents only after keywords are extracted from the files for a user to find any document or file quickly. API’s are integrated into the Knowmax knowledge management software according to the file types and needs.
- One important thing to note is that Knowmax allows flexibility of information formatting. For example, any file can be converted from long-form informational content to a picture guide or decision trees. Another thing to note is that keyword extraction makes it easy to find documents and information within each document.
Data migration is indeed a considerable scale process, especially on an organizational scale. There are pointers to note and be precise on from the beginning of the process. People from the organization and the partners need to work together to work on realistic goals. With AI data migration, content migration can be made without the fear of data loss, formatting issues, and many more.